The Colonial era in Nigeria started way back in 1861 when Lagos was officially made a British colony. Lots of elegant structures and buildings were constructed during the colonial era with distinguished styles. Some of them might have lost their shape and form while others still boast of their initial look or even much better. Here is a list of the top 6 colonial destinations in Nigeria;
Cathedral Church of Christ
This is the oldest Anglican Cathedral in Nigeria, its foundation stone was laid by the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VIII) on the 21st of April, 1925, and was completed in 1946. At different periods, the cathedral was the seat of the archbishop of the Province of West Africa, the seat of the archbishop and primate of All Nigeria and the seat of the archbishop of the Province of Lagos. It is currently the seat of the Bishop of Lagos.
Located in the outskirts of Kano, close to Tiga dam, is a colonial destination with remarkable tales and amazing features. The hotel hosted Queen Elizabeth II during her first visit to Nigeria in 1956. It has over 50 rooms, a conference hall, a swimming pool, barbecue joints and a large green vegetation.
Calabar Botanical Garden
Calabar Botanical Garden was established in 1893 and is the first botanical garden in Nigeria. It’s a gracious and beautiful landmark that has stood for more than a century. It offers a lovely scenery with a fresh feel of natural splendor.
Constructed in 1925, Mapo Hall is one graceful colonial structure that has stood the test of time. Used in the colonial era for administrative purposes, Mapo Hall presents itself as a distinct building now known for organizing traditional events, symposia and political rallies. Due to its location at the top of a hill, a beautiful and lovely view of major parts in Ibadan can be observed.
St George’s Hall
This hall was built in 1907 and was opened by the then Governor of Lagos colony and Southern Nigeria, Sir Walter Egerton. It’s a Brazilian style of architecture that shows exquisitely furnished pillars and railings in the balcony.
Old Residence Building
This superb work of architecture tells visitors great stories of Nigeria’s colonial history. Built on the Consular hill in 1884, the Old Residence building also known as Government house, is a two-storey building made of pre-fabricated Scandinavian red pine wood that was shipped in knocked down parts from Britain to Calabar.